Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Creepy Churchbells & A Cannon

Every morning, I walk to work through a military fortress, the Kastellet. At 8 am every morning, the church bells start ringing to signify the start of a new day. For some reason, I find these church bells a little eery. It's spooky when the bells break the silence of the 400 year old fort as I am crossing through.

But as if a church bell isn't creepy enough, only seconds after the bells start, a cannon goes off. And every morning, I jump & duck for cover as if a war was on the verge of breaking out. One single cannon blast into the morning air. And I know it's coming...I even expect it...And yet, it never fails to give me a little jolt to which I usually follow up with "Whyyy" Why is it necessary in this day & age...in the year 2011 to set off a cannon?

I've asked around & most people don't know the reason. The only theory I have been supplied with is that Denmark wants to remind Sweden to stay away. Really Denmark?? Because let me tell you, if I was Sweden, I would say, "Oh yea?? Well let me show you what my satellite controlled missile, released from my remote controlled plane can do to your little measly cannon." Yep. That's exactly how I would handle that situation. In fact, I often find myself fantasizing of the day that someone puts that cannon out of its misery. The cannon is not my friend.

1 comment: