Sunday, May 1, 2011

Reflections of a Month Gone By

It's been exactly 1 month since I stepped on a plane to begin my year long stay in one of Europe's most interesting capital cities. Looking back, this has been a very interesting month & surely a sign of things to come. I don't regret the decision to move here but I would be lying if I didn't admit to having more than 1 "What the hell have I done?" moment. Thankfully, I am quickly surrounding myself with good people who snap me right out of that whenever it happens.

This is a beautiful city & it's full of interesting people. Everyone is a walking contradiction. Polite but not friendly. Fashionable but not mainstream. Welcoming but yet exclusive. Hardworking but so not hardworking at the same time. Healthy but obsessed w/ smoking & pastries. Who can understand this??? The people are just like the language...What you see is not what you get.

On a personal level, I've made some progress. Some. I now have a mobile phone, an apartment, a bus pass, a CPR #, a Danish bank account, & starting to make friends.

I'm missing the understanding of online banking, groceries (I heart Publix more than ever now), my registration for the Danish lessons, travel opportunities, & a better understanding of the job & the reason I was brought here.

Maybe I can include those things in the Month 2 recap.

1 comment: