Friday, November 25, 2011

The Danish reaction to a Danish

Ok Americans. Listen up. The Danish (the delicious pastry we love to enjoy in a cheese or fruit variety) does not actually exist in Denmark. This came has a major disappointment to me when I first arrived to Denmark. I did not appreciate this as all I wanted was to enjoy a cheesy & fruity pastry delight that was covered in icing in the very country for which it has its namesake.

However, the Danes do not believe in icing, the processed cheese in a Danish is nonexistent in Denmark, and the fruity deliciousness is not used in any pastry in this country. They do have pastries, and they are good, but it's not what we think of AT ALL. Sooo....while I was in the US, I picked up a box of Cheese Danishes while at WalMart to bring back & share w/ my Danish colleagues.

First, there was confusion. "What IS this?" That was followed by amusement. "Wow! Whatever this is, it's named after OUR people". This was then followed by curiousity. "Hmm....Should I taste it?" But that only led to disgust. "This stuff is processed & fake & not at all what our fabulous country represents" ....Ultimately, it was almost a dare. Who would eat it? Who would eat more than 1? I only brought back 1 box. This box had 6 in it. As of today, there is still 1 left & no one will touch it.

Between us....I'm dying to eat it but don't want to be caught by the Danes eating the American Danish. However, I will never let a yummy treat go to waste so in all likelihood, expect me to snatch it sometime next week....and gosh darnit...I will LIKE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment