Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Swept Away

Last Saturday, I was invited to a Summer BBQ Party. Danes love summer. I mean, they LOVE summer. In Denmark, summer is short & sweet, & about as hot as an Autumn afternoon. But it's amazing compared to how it is the rest of the year.

I was excited to go to this summer BBQ, however, I knew that the weather had been a little sketchy all morning long. As soon as I arrive to the party, I looked up & noticed the clouds rolling in. It didn't take long before the heavens opened up & the mother of all storms came crashing down.

I have been through many a hurricane but this...this was just something else. In less than 2 hours, there was over 6 inches of rain, hail, wind, thunder, lightning. It was reported that over 6,000 bolts of lightning struck in that short period of time. And where was I? Still sitting in the courtyard under a covered shed trying to stay dry.

Roofs were leaking, basements were flooded, traffic lights were out...It was like a mini tropical storm with no advanced warning.

I decided to leave the party to check on my basment storage that had a few items I was storing for other people. After getting lost & eventually finding my way again, I made it to the center of the city by metro where I just needed to take 1 bus home. But that would be too easy. I waited for almost 2 hours & the bus never came. The bus sign kept saying that the bus was coming but that was a lie. It was a dirty stinking lie.

Once I came to the realization that the bus would never come, I decided to take the metro to the next station where I could switch to the S-Train & I could just walk from there. However, once I reached that station, the metro's also stopped running, the S-Trains had already stopped running, & guess what...There was NO bus there either. And the cabs were nearly impossible to catch. Standing in front of the station, in the dark, with people just roaming or fighting for one of the few available cabs was truly surreal. The worst part of it was that I wasn't totally sure how to walk to my apartment from that station & google maps wasn't picking up my location on my phone.

Panic started to set in...I looked around & wondered if this is what being in a war zone felt like. A strange quiet falls over the city with only the sounds of the occasional argument breaking out. As much as I try, it's hard to explain what that night was like.

I finally realized which direction I needed to go in & began to walk. After walking for over an hour, I made it to the apartment...Tired, wet, & w/ achy feet...But I made it. Found out later that this was the worst storm that Copenhagen has had in over 30 years. Here's to hoping it's another 30 before that ever happens again.



The party goers under the 'protection' of a covered shed

Just some of the rain in the courtyard


And you wonder why the basement was flooded??

No comments:

Post a Comment