Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Solstice

A couple of weeks ago, Denmark celebrated the summer solstice (yes, I am a little late w/ the story). As with pretty much everything in this country, this is really just an excuse to drink. However, there are some traditions associated w/ this celebration of the longest day of the year. People will gather w/ their families &/or friends, pets, and sometimes even strangers & have a picnic along w/ a bonfire where a witch is burned as everyone...oh that's right....They drink.


Originally, I had not planned to partake of these events. However, at the last minute I got an invite from a friend to just go 'look' & I thought to myself, "What if I am not here next year?" so off I went to observe this witch burning celebration.


I went off towards one of the harbors w/ my friend & watched as people stared at the bonfire (aka witch burning), had their picnics, listened to music, & ...yes...drank.







This pic was taken at Sunset - which was just around 11pm. Yes, that's right - 11pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment