Thursday, February 10, 2011

Denmark is the Capital of Iceland

As you know, when I move to Copenhagen, I am going to be part of a project that is already ongoing. One of my colleagues on this project, who is Danish, was in Charlotte this week for meetings. I reached out to her in hopes of starting to meet people & get insight on this project. She asked me if I would take her and another (Danish) Colleague to the outlet malls to shop. In case you haven't heard me say this yet, Denmark is EXPENSIVE so these ladies were very excited to help do their part to boost the American economy.

We were at Finish Line, shopping for sneakers, & I assume that A or B (seriously their names began w/ A & B, I just don't want to muddle up the spelling) told the girl at the counter that they were from Denmark. The immediate response was "So you're all from Denmark? That's the capital of Iceland, right?? I learned all about it in my history class."  Ahhh...Yes....Let's just thank this little nugget for doing her part to fuel the American stereotype that Europeans have of us as being "Stupid Americans". I corrected her & explained that Denmark was a small country in Northern Europe. "North Europe??? But then, where's Iceland?" Clearly, someone really paid attention to that history class. In what was obviously an exercise in futility, I attempted to explain where Denmark was only to be told "Oh! Right, Denmark is the capital of Greenland!" Sighh...We left the store & just shared a laugh. Hopefully I was able to win some brownie points (err...I mean Danish Butter Cookie Points as I told Carl earlier this week) with my new colleagues.
****
The ladies were vastly different. A, who is the one that I will be working more closely with, has spent time in the US & currently lives in Sweden w/ her hubby & kids & commutes to CPH daily. She was jubilant, friendly, helpful....complete opposite of everything you've been warned to expect from Danes.

B was everything you've been warned to expect from Danes. She was polite but not open or overly friendly. It was hard to get a read on her & my instinct cried out "Why doesn't she like me???" It took me almost 45 minutes to remember everything I have been reading about Danish culture & realize that she was simply being "respectful" of me. At least that's what I keep telling myself! I made a point of not taking any behavior "personally" and went about my evening. I know that there will be many B's in Copenhagen so while I wait to begin my Danish adventure, I will continue to study & read about customs & local behaviors to prepare myself. But I can only hope that they will be prepared for ME! After all, I will always be the  kissing-to-greet-you, loud(ish), hand-gesturing-when-I-speak, I'm-in-Miami-B%&$-acting, Cuban-Puerto Rican-American, one & only TERESA. Lord help us all.




PS - Still no word on when this little adventure will begin.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny. You should also take up writing...maybe short stories. You're very good!

    ReplyDelete