Monday, August 1, 2011

Oh My! 4 Months Have Gone By!

It's hard for me to believe that it's now been 4 months. Admittedly, this last month has been more fun & less of a struggle than the one before. I'm starting to find my stride (kinda sorta) and have enjoyed some really fun times in the past couple of weeks.

What I miss:

1. Fresh Produce  
It's not easy to find fresh fruits & veggies here, which is odd considering the Danes love to eat fruits & veggies. And most people will react to this by saying "Don't shop at the Netto" but it doesn't really matter what store you shop in, the veggies don't look quite right. I'll eat them from the canteen at work or in a restaurant but I have a hard time buying it at the store when it doesn't have the shine & 'fresh' quality that you will find at American grocery stores.


2. Knowing what the weather will be
The news is in Danish and the English websites rarely have accurate reports. Search BBC, Weather.com & my Iphone & each will have a different forecast & they are all wrong.


3. Summer
Tank tops, shorts, flip flops (with nicely pedicured toes of course), bathing suits, suntan lotion, suntans....I miss it all. I don't need to have it year round. I really don't. But a couple of weeks of it won't hurt anyone. Just sayin'.


4. American Jokes
Nothing is worse than sitting in a room & everyone laughs at a joke & you're looking around the room wondering what's so funny. It's great to meet people of different nationalities & cultures...but the humor doesn't always translate.  

5. People with attention spans
Trust me...It's not that easy to find around here.




What I Enjoy:

1. Weekends
There's always an adventure. Maybe it's watching my first Rugby match or enjoying some absynthe w/ friends or maybe it's a travel opportunity (this weekend baby!!) ...But I find ways to keep busy & that's always nice.


2. Friends
And I mean the TV show this time. It's nice to come home & watch something familiar...And it just so happens that I know every episode by heart so it's def like a piece of home when it's on.

3. Skype!

Loving the connection to home via technology

4. (Some of) The Food
Thai, Vietnamese, & Sushi are really good here. And I found a great pizza place (Mother) and loving me some burgers at Halifax. 

5. Going to the movies
Admittedly this is an expensive habit but the movies are American, the concessions are way better than the US, & it's a great place to be on those rainy days where being outside doesn't seem like a good option.  

1 comment:

  1. FYI the "shine" Americaican produce has is wax they add to it to appeal to you visually. Doesn't say anything about the quality.

    ReplyDelete