Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Only Danish Word I Know...

TAK!

Yes, It's true. I am moving to a country where the only thing I know how to say is Thank You. Let's add to this that Danes are notorious for being blunt about everything. Now, it is true that most Danes, especially in Copenhagen, speak English. However, let's picture for a moment, the hilarity of this:

Dane: You are so ugly!
Teresa: (Smiles & Nods) TAK!

Teresa: Excuse me, can you tell me which way to the bank?
Dane: You're standing right in front of it, you dumbass.
Teresa: (Smiles & Nods) TAK!

Teresa enters room thinking she is wearing her very best outfit.
Dane: You look like a hooker.
Teresa: (Smiles & Nods) TAK!

I am going to be the most polite person in all of Denmark! Needless to say, this little American is enrolling herself in Danish lessons as top priority. Sadly, languages are not my forte...My spanish has become an embarrassment & let's not even remind ourselves of the debacle of Italian I in 1996. But I promise to rise above this and learn this incredibly complicated language! I will climb every mountain & whatever that next line is.

That's it for now.... And to those of you reading these little random thoughts......TAK!


2 comments:

  1. Ooh...I'll have to remember that one so that I will know 2 words! Yay! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete